Postal traffic grows in 4th quarter 2009 but declines year-on-year
If you would like to quote from the "Postal traffic grows in 4th quarter 2009 but declines year-on-year" article, please copy and paste the following text:
Title: "Postal traffic grows in 4th quarter 2009 but declines year-on-year"
In the last quarter of 2009, total traffic from postal services was reported to have grown by around 7.8% over the previous quarter to 294 million objects. In comparison to the 4th quarter of 2008, total postal traffic fell by almost 6%, due above all to a decline in non-express mail.
Of the total number of objects distributed during the quarter, around 96% were destined for the national market, while the remaining 4% were destined for the international market.
By type of object, around 98% of postal traffic is comprised by correspondence (which includes addressed publicity and editorial mail). Meanwhile parcels, running counter to the declining trend in year-on-year terms, represented just 2% of total traffic.
Meanwhile, an average of 27.6 postal objects were distributed in the quarter per inhabitant, 2 fewer objects per capita than in the 4th quarter of 2008.
Traffic of the liberalised area represents around 22% of the total.
Despite an increase in liberalised traffic compared to the previous quarter (13.8%) – which regularly occurs in the last quarter of each year -, this increase was not enough to offset the declining trend in traffic seen over recent quarters. As such, compared to the last quarter of 2008, the number of objects handled fell by 8.5%. This is in line with a downward trans in liberalised traffic which has been evident in recent years.
During the quarter being reported, the volume of national postal traffic increased by 15% to around 60.8 million objects. Outgoing international traffic again comprised 4.7 million objects.
National traffic made up 93% of total postal traffic operated in competition, with outgoing international traffic representing 7%
In the liberalised area, Grupo CTT was responsible for around 90% of national traffic and for around 82% of outgoing international traffic
In this period, 6.2 million of the total 65.6 million liberalised postal objects fell within the express mail category, with around 59.3 million being encompassed by the remaining service categories.
Express mail therefore accounted for around 10% of total traffic operated in competition, with the remaining categories making up 90% of total liberalised traffic.
In general, the change in liberalised traffic by service followed the trends described above: seasonal growth in traffic compared to the previous quarter and a decline in traffic in comparison to the same period of the previous year, in line with the trend reported over recent years.
The exception to this is express mail, which grew by 13.8% year-on-year. This growth is due, above all, to the increase in deliveries reported by the largest alternative provider.
In terms of the offer structure, it can be seen that in the fourth quarter of 2009 the companies of Grupo CTT retained a share of 41.6% of express mail traffic and 95% of non-express mail traffic.
Postal Services - 4th quarter 2009
This page was:
· view 1655
· printed 0
· subscribed 18
More information on site statistics
Information available in this area: Legislation; Determinations on ADSL offers from PT Comunicações; Statistical information to be provided by public telec.network operators; Interconnection; Traffic ownership; Significant market power; Reference interconnection offer; General and prior conditions to the negotiation of interconnection agreements; Interconnection agreements; Prices; Internet access; Selection and pre-selection of operator; Cost model for the fixed telecommunications network
This area contains a range of information on broadband Internet access, including ANACOM’s powers and initiatives, the national and community legislation in force, the complementary measures adopted by ANACOM, statistics, studies and several reports.
Obtain information on the applicable regime, consult adopted determinations and the offers of the concessionaire in this area and follow the respective developments through related information.
Information available in this area: legislation; news and press releases on DT; licence granted; archive on Conference on Digital Terrestrial Television - DVB-T (2000).
Information available in this area: ANACOM's duties; Legislation (Portuguese and European Union Law); Relevant studies and work.
A new area has been made developed on emergency communications with information about the varied remit of ANACOM and current Europena Union and national legislation, studies and reports and links of interest.
This area comprises all the available information on each of the relevant markets identified by ANACOM, in compliance with Regicom and Commission Recommendation 2003/311/EC, of 11 February 2003.
This area contains a wide range of information on the regulatory framework for electronic communications, both as adopted in the European Union in 2002 and as approved in 2009.
ITED - ITUR
Find out about ANACOM's participation in international sectorial bodies, such as IRG, ERG, CEPT, ITU and UPU.
Here you can get a range of useful information about roaming, in particular about what you will have to pay for calls or your voicemail when using your mobile abroad.
Fully aware of the modernisation challenges faced by the industry and the need to ensure high quality products and services, ANACOM is endowed with three specialised laboratories, with which it helps further national technological development.
Information available in this area: legislation, complementary determinations on the PTC's cost accounting system; entities with significant market power, quality of leased lines service, reformulation and suspension of leased lines offer; information about prices; national and international studies and reports.
Information available in this area: Determinations of ICP-ANACOM; Reference Unbundling Offer (RUO) (PTC); EU and IRG Initiatives; Working Group; Public Survey on LLU; FAQ's.
Information available in this area: Legislation; determinations on IMT-2000/UMTS , voice mail , informative services , significant market power, adhesion contracts, portability - Information to consumers, survey on quality of service of mobile (QoS-GSM), other relevant information about IMT-2000/UMTS; ERMES, Mobile Communications in Portugal.
Information available in this area: legislation; complementary determinations on portability, selection and pre-selection, virtual phone cards, Portuguese numbering plan, public consultations; ETO; FAQ's.
Online Services - Access to interactive electronic Forms.
Information available in this area: national and EU legislation, CTT's development plan, quality of service and overall complaints; prices and postal tariffs for 2003; statement of compliance of CTT's cost accounting system; audit to the service quality indicators of CTT; conventions; quality reports; european studies; licences/authorizations.
Information available in this area: R&TTE Regulatory Framework; reasons of the R&TTE framework adoption; applicable equipment; information about Essential requirements; conformity assessment procedures; notification to Anacom; publication of interfaces by operators; publication of technical specifications; inspection (market surveillance); spectrum authorities.
Information available in this area: Legislation; Electronic Communications Committee Decisions; Exposure to electromagnetic radiation and related issues; useful links; data base and useful information about audio broadcast operators; television broadcast operators; personal radio service - citizen band.
Information available in this area: sector's organization; operators' list; licences/authorizations granted by ANACOM; codes of providers and telecommunications services.
Information available in this area: legislation; determinations on Fixed Telephone Service and Universal Service, public pay phones, adhesion contracts, public consultation; information on liberalization communications; consumer rights; FAQ's and Publications.
This area contains information on the Portuguese Committee of URSI - International Union of Radio Science. The work of this Committee is organised by ANACOM.
Services and Useful Information
Tenders for the selection of provider(s) of universal service of electronic communications
Consultation on the draft decision on the results of the audit to PTC's universal service net costs (2007-2009) - comments until 22.05.2013
ANACOM Conference 2013 - Financing the future, 01.07.2013
World Radiocommunication Conference 2015 (WRC-15), Geneva, 2-27.11.2015
Positions, clarifications and statements issued by ANACOM between 2004 and 2013
Access the services which we provide electronically
FAQ on Audiotext, Digital Terrestrial Television - DTT, International Roaming, Licences for land mobile service private radiocommunications networks, Local Loop Unbundling, Message-Based value Added Services, National Numbering Plan, Operator Portability, R&TTE Regulatory Framework, Telephone Service at a Fixed Location and Universal Service, VoIP