- Access and Interconnection
- Broadband area
- Ducts Access
- Digital Television
- Electronic Commerce
- Emergency Communications
- Electronic communications - market analysis
- Electronic communications - regulatory framework
- ITED - ITUR
- International Activity
- International Roaming
- Leased Lines
- Local Loop Unbundling
- Mobile Networks and Services
- Numbering, Names and Addressing
- Online Services
- Postal area
- R&TTE Regulatory Framework
- Spectrum management
- Telephone Service at a Fixed Location and Universal Service
- URSI - Portuguese Committee
Decision on the conditions and specifications of each of the items which constitute the universal service, in the scope of the process of designating the provider(s) of the electronic communications universal service - clarification23.03.2012
By determination of 23 March 2012, and in complement to determination of 7 February 2012, ANACOM approved the clarification of two specific aspects (points 2.1.7 and 3.1.2). Approval was given also to the republication of the decision on the conditions and specifications of each of the items which constitute the universal service, in the scope of the process of designating the provider(s) of the electronic communications universal service.
Decision on the conditions and specifications governing each of the provisions constituting the universal service in the context of the process of designating the provider(s) of the universal service of electronic communications
On 16.11.2011, the Portuguese Government, in liaison with ICP-ANACOM, launched a public consultation on the process of designating the provider(s) of the universal service of electronic communications (hereinafter USP consultation), which closed on 30 December 2011.
This consultation included the relevant components (draft tender schedule; draft calls for the presentation of proposals and draft tender specifications) of the three tenders, specifically:
- Tender 1 - Connection to a public communications network at a fixed location and provision of a publicly available telephone service through said connection;
- Tender 2 - Provision of public pay-telephones; and
- Tender 3 - Provision of a comprehensive telephone directory and of a comprehensive telephone directory enquiry service;
The components submitted to consultation set out the Government's approach to the designation of the provider(s) of the universal service and the conditions that embody the core provisions which the undertaking or undertakings which are so designated will be bound to provide and which have been implemented in a manner which is consistent with determinations taken by ICP-ANACOM in these areas, in proposals put by this Authority or in current practice associated with the provision of the universal service.
In order to simplify the process of designating the USP(s) and in order to provide potential applicants with a global perspective of the obligations whose fulfilment by USP(s) is sought, the specifications of the three tenders submitted to consultation incorporate the draft decisions on the conditions of provision to be established by ICP-ANACOM.
Meanwhile, the statement of reasons issued in respect of the consultation makes provision for the formulation of an opinion to be issued by ICP-ANACOM pursuant to paragraph 4 of article 88 of Law no. 5/2004 of 10 February (LCE), as amended by Law no. 51/2011 of 13 September, which will take into account the views expressed in this consultation with regard to the minimum speeds to be supported by the access network provided under the universal service in order to enable functional Internet access, leading to a final decision by the Government in this regard.
Finally, as stated in last paragraph of the consultation's Statement of reasons, "Taking into account the contributions which it receives, ICP-ANACOM will: a) approve the duly reasoned formulation of the decisions stemming from the powers and responsibilities conferred upon it under the LCE in this respect (...)".
Therefore, in performance of its assignments, as set forth in points b), d) and h) of paragraph 1 of article 6 of its Statutes, as in annex to Decree-Law no. 309/2001 of 7 December, and in furtherance of the objectives of regulation as set out in points a) and c) of paragraph 1, points a) and b) of paragraph 2 and a), e) of paragraph 4, all of article 5 of Law no. 5/2004 of 10 February, as amended by Law no. 51/2011 of 13 September, the Management Board of ICP-ANACOM, giving consideration to the views expressed in the context of this general consultation procedure, does determine, in the exercise of the powers and responsibilities conferred by article 86, paragraph 3, article 88, paragraph 4, article 89, paragraph 5, article 90, paragraph 1, article 91, paragraph 3, article 92, paragraphs 4 and 5, article 93, paragraphs 1 and 3, articles 94 and 95, paragraph 1 of Law no. 5/2004, the following:
- To approve the conditions and specifications of each of the services which constitute the universal service and which, as such, are to be fulfilled by the undertakings as, subsequent to the tender foreseen in article 99 of Law no. 5/2004 will be designated as providers thereof;
- To establish that the values of the net costs of universal service provision (CLSU) that result from tenders 1 and 2 are deemed an unfair burden and as such will be subject to financing in accordance with the terms and conditions set out in the tender and the constituting documents of the compensation fund.
2. Connection to a public communications network at a fixed location and provision of a telephone service through that connectionhttp://www.anacom.pt/render.jsp?categoryId=345570
3. Public pay-telephoneshttp://www.anacom.pt/render.jsp?categoryId=345574
4. Provision of a comprehensive directory and of a comprehensive telephone directory enquiry servicehttp://www.anacom.pt/render.jsp?categoryId=345578
Public Consultation on the process of designating the provider(s) of the universal service of electronic communications http://www.anacom.pt/render.jsp?categoryId=344951
Electronic Communications Services: Service normally provided for remuneration which consists wholly or mainly in the conveyance of signals on electronic communications networks, including telecommunications services and transmission services in networks used for broadcasting, without prejudice to the exclusion referred to in point b) of paragraph 1 of article 2 (Law no. 5/2004 of 10 February).
US - Universal Service: In portuguese, Serviço Universal (SU). In general terms, universal service (US) is taken as meaning the minimum set of services of a specified quality which is available to all users at an affordable price.
ANACOM Conference 2013 - Financing the future, 01.07.2013
World Radiocommunication Conference 2015 (WRC-15), Geneva, 2-27.11.2015
Positions, clarifications and statements issued by ANACOM between 2004 and 2013
Access the services which we provide electronically
FAQ on Audiotext, Digital Terrestrial Television - DTT, International Roaming, Licences for land mobile service private radiocommunications networks, Local Loop Unbundling, Message-Based value Added Services, National Numbering Plan, Operator Portability, R&TTE Regulatory Framework, Telephone Service at a Fixed Location and Universal Service, VoIP