- Access and Interconnection
- Broadband area
- Ducts Access
- Digital Television
- Electronic Commerce
- Emergency Communications
- Electronic communications - market analysis
- Electronic communications - regulatory framework
- ITED - ITUR
- International Activity
- International Roaming
- Leased Lines
- Local Loop Unbundling
- Mobile Networks and Services
- Numbering, Names and Addressing
- Online Services
- Postal area
- R&TTE Regulatory Framework
- Spectrum management
- Telephone Service at a Fixed Location and Universal Service
- URSI - Portuguese Committee
Portugal reports 4.6% increase in total postal traffic during 1st quarter
Total postal service traffic increased by 4.6% during the first quarter compared to the previous quarter, with around 267.8 million items reported, while on a year-on-year basis, total traffic fell by 9.4%.
Traffic in the reserved area totalled 212.196 million objects - making up 79.2% of total traffic - up 6.6% over the previous quarter and down 10% year-on-year. Meanwhile, liberalized traffic totalled 55.605 million objects - down 2.2% over the previous quarter and down 7.1% year-on-year.
In the period being reported, 96.8% of distributed items had a destination within the national market, while the remaining 3.2% were dispatched to destinations in the international market.
Meanwhile, about 97.7% of postal traffic was comprised by correspondence (including direct mail and also editorial mail).
An average of 25.3 postal items were distributed per inhabitant, 2.4 fewer items per capita than in 1st quarter of 2011, and 1.1 items more than in 4th quarter 2011.
Grupo CTT retained a 97% share of total postal traffic.
Traffic operated in competition makes up 20.8% of all postal items, with Grupo CTT retaining a share of 85.7% in this segment.
Looking at this segment by destination, national postal traffic fell by 2.3% over the previous quarter to around 51.8 million items and outgoing international traffic declined by 0.4% to 3.8 million items. National traffic therefore represented 93.1% of total traffic operated in competition, while outgoing international traffic represented 6.9%.
In the liberalized area, Grupo CTT accounted for 86.5% of national traffic and 74.2% of outgoing international traffic.
Out of about 55.6 million postal items of the liberalized area, 12.7% of all items were included in the express mail category. Express mail volume fell by 3.6% over the quarter and 3.8% year-on-year, while non-express mail traffic (remaining traffic) saw a decline, both on the quarter and year-on-year, of 2% and 7.5% respectively.
The companies of Grupo CTT retained a share of 93.7% in the non-express mail category and a share of 30.3% of traffic in the express mail category.
In terms of revenues, the full set of postal services generated a total of about 187.5 million euros, of which 65.7% refers to revenues from services operated in competition and the remaining 34.3% to the reserved area.
Average revenue was reported at 0.70 euros per item in the first quarter, an increase of 4.7% compared to the same quarter of 2011. In the reserved area, average revenue per item was reported at 0.30 euros, declining by 2.9% over the quarter; meanwhile, in the liberalized area, average revenue per item was reported at 8.74 euros for express mail and 1.27 euros for non-express mail.
Consult the statistical report:
Postal Services - 1st quarter 2012 http://www.anacom.pt/render.jsp?contentId=1130234
Postal Service: Service consisting of the clearance, sorting, routing and delivery of postal items.
Universal Postal Service: Offer of postal services of a specific quality, permanently available, provided throughout national territory at prices accessible to all users, aiming to satisfy the communication needs of the population and those of economic and social activities.
US - Universal Service: In portuguese, Serviço Universal (SU). In general terms, universal service (US) is taken as meaning the minimum set of services of a specified quality which is available to all users at an affordable price.
ANACOM Conference 2013 - Financing the future, 01.07.2013
World Radiocommunication Conference 2015 (WRC-15), Geneva, 2-27.11.2015
Positions, clarifications and statements issued by ANACOM between 2004 and 2013
Access the services which we provide electronically
FAQ on Audiotext, Digital Terrestrial Television - DTT, International Roaming, Licences for land mobile service private radiocommunications networks, Local Loop Unbundling, Message-Based value Added Services, National Numbering Plan, Operator Portability, R&TTE Regulatory Framework, Telephone Service at a Fixed Location and Universal Service, VoIP