The GOP - Grandes Opções do Plano (Major Planning Options) for 2009 (Law no. 41/2008) were published in the Diário da República on August 13. This document is used by the Government to take stock of what has already been achieved from the GOPs of 2005-2009, with emphasis on the most recent period of 2007-2008, and to identify the main points of policy action for 2009.
In terms of the first option - Ensure a path of sustained growth based on knowledge, innovation and human resource qualification -, the 2009 GOP sets out several measures with respect to the information society (IS), key of which are:
- Prioritise the expansion of research and development activities in the area of information and communications technologies (ICT) under the Connect Portugal programme;
- Consolidate the network of internet access points providing free public access to computers and broadband internet, continuing policies supporting the participation of citizens with special needs in the information society;
- Promote international partnerships for the creation of a new platform for providing medical content and of the new Fraunhofer Institute in Porto, the development of applications, services and content to promote digital inclusion;
- Pursue training in ICT;
- Promote the strengthening of b-On as part of the Sistema Internacional de Indexação de Publicações Científicas e Técnicas (Web of Knowledge) and open access availability to scientific information open access);
- Strengthen the National Infrastructure of Distributed Computing (GRID), including through the National GRID Initiative, participation in the IBERGRID Network and international cooperation.
Regarding the third option - To improve the quality of life and to strengthen territorial cohesion in a framework of sustained development -, action in the communications in 2009 will be taken along the following lines:
- Consolidate and expand the e-school initiative;
- Ensure that consumers have information about quality of service (fixed and mobile telephone service, Internet service and cable TV service) that is clear and comparable, and which could in itself act as a driver of quality;
- Designate the provider(s) of the Universal Service in the context of electronic communications;
- Creating conditions for the e-inclusion of socially disadvantaged groups and / or groups with specific social needs with respect to the IS, establishing anti-discriminatory rules;
- To update the ITED manual (telecommunications infrastructure in buildings) and develop technical standards in respect of the constitution of the ITUR scheme (telecommunications infrastructure in urban developments);
- To implement Digital Terrestrial Television, following the assessment and preparation of the measures necessary to close down the analogue television service;
- To achieve complete broadband infrastructure coverage of the national territory with the development of new access offers;
- To create conditions whereby the number of personal computers with Internet access approaches the European average;
- Ensure the liberalisation process of postal services, as well as updating the regulatory framework applicable to postal services.
Under the third option of the GOP, the Government also notes that conditions for the introduction of mobile TV in the national territory will be in place by the end of 2008, along with conditions for the effective investment in Next Generation Networks. There are also plans for the implementation in 2008 of a new system of radio spectrum fees, taking into account the existing and planned use of frequencies, as well as the need to anticipate the introduction of new radio systems.
Related information on ANACOM's website:
Major Planning Options for 2008http://www.anacom.pt/render.jsp?contentId=511176
Major Planning Options for 2005-2009http://www.anacom.pt/render.jsp?contentId=292805