The goals of the Commission are:
- To study waves in plasmas in the broadest sense, and in particular:
- the generation (e.g. plasma instabilities), propagation, and detection of waves in plasmas,
- wave-wave and wave-particle interactions,
- plasma turbulence and chaos,
- spacecraft-plasma interaction,
- instabilities, heating, and diagnosis of laboratory plasmas;
- To encourage the application of these studies, particularly in the areas of solar/planetary plasma interactions, space weather, and an increased exploitation of space as a research laboratory.