ANACOM has approved the launching of a public consultation on a draft decision concerning the introduction of mobile communication services on aircraft (MCA) and the definition of the respective type of authorization.
This draft decision generally determines as follows:
- To amend the provisions of the National Frequency Allocation Plan so as to include the use of the 1710-1785 MHz and 1805-1880 MHz bands for MCA services at 3000m height above ground;
- To authorize MCA systems operating in the 1710-1785 MHz and 1805-1880 MHz bands, on a non-interference and non-protected basis, subject to the general authorization regime, pursuant to the Electronic Communications Law (ECL);
- To make MCA service providers subject to the compliance with conditions provided for in paragraph 1 of article 27 of the ECL; and
- To exempt MCA service providers from spectrum usage fees for the use of frequencies.
Interested parties may submit their comments to ANACOM, up to 17 June 2008, in writing, either to ANACOM or electronically to MCA@anacom.pt. Comments expressly marked as confidential by respondents will not be included in the publication of results.
The background to this consultation procedure is the mandate given by the European Commission (EC) to the European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications Administrations (CEPT), in the scope of the i2010 initiative, given the acknowledged importance of the extended provision of connectivity to electronic communications services. Based on research developed within CEPT, the following statutory instruments were subsequently approved:
- CEPT ECC/DEC(06)07 - decision on the harmonized use of airborne GSM systems in the frequency bands 1710-1785 and 1805-1880 MHz;
- Commission Decision 2008/294/EC of 7 April 2008 on harmonised conditions of spectrum use for the operation of mobile communication services on aircraft (MCA services) in the Community; and
- Commission Recommendation 2008/295/EC of 7 April 2008 on authorisation of mobile communication services on aircraft (MCA services) in the European Community.
- Introduction of mobile communications services on aircraft https://www.anacom.pt/render.jsp?contentId=1083377