The public consultation launched by the European Commission regarding the Green Paper on satellite navigation applications, based on the availability of the European satellite navigation system Galileo, is ongoing until 6 April 2007.
Aiming to establish an appropriate legal framework to support the development of satellite navigation applications, the Commission intends to foster the debate on the measures that can be undertaken by the public sector at this level, besides financial support and the creation of infrastructures. Thus, it is recognized that Galileo is an opportunity to the European Union (EU), since it is not only a landmark in the European spatial policy, but also contributes to the EU's development and innovation, considering the several areas that benefit from the availability of such a system.
The Green Paper lists questions regarding several sectors, such as transport, civil protection, emergency, search and rescue calls services, agriculture and energy. Questions are also raised concerning the ethics and privacy in the use of data coming from this type of technology. Regarding the public sector's action, it identifies issues in connection with the community and international coordination regarding reserve of radio spectrum.
In parallel with this consultation, the European Commission will launch a contest for young people between 15 and 25 years old, with the purpose of identifying innovative ideas for the use of satellite navigation technologies and services. On 22 December next, information on this contest will be released at the website of the European Commission's Directorate-General for Energy and Transport.
- Green Paper on satellite navigation applications http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/energy_transport/galileo/green-paper/doc/com_2006_gp_galileo_en.pdf
- Consulta pública -Galileu http://ec.europa.eu/yourvoice/ipm/forms/dispatch?form=GalileoGP&lang=en
- Commission is looking for new ways to benefit from Galileo navigation system http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/06/1709&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en
- União Europeia: Comissão Europeia: Direcção-Geral da Energia e Transportes http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/energy_transport/galileo/index_en.htm
Related information on ANACOM's website:
- EU - European Union https://www.anacom.pt/render.jsp?categoryId=66653