The European Commission adopted, on 23 November 2006, a decision on harmonisation of the radio spectrum for radio frequency identification (RFID) devices operating in the ultra high frequency (UHF).
Under this Decision, and within six months after its entry into force, it is incumbent upon Member States of the European Union to designate and make available, on a non-exclusive, non-interference and non-protected basis, the frequency bands for RFID devices. Member States must also, on the one hand, keep the use of the relevant bands under scrutiny and, on the other, report their findings to the Commission to allow a timely review of this Decision.
Within this context, the Commission adopted, on 9 November, a decision on the harmonisation of the radio spectrum for use by short-range and low power devices.
- Commission Decision 2006/804/EC, of 23.11.2006 http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/site/en/oj/2006/l_329/l_32920061125en00640066.pdf
- Commission Decision (2006/771/EC), of 9.11.2006 http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/site/en/oj/2006/l_312/l_31220061111en00660070.pdf
- Comissão Europeia - sítio sobre o espectro radioeléctrico (em inglês) http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/policy/ecomm/radio_spectrum/index_en.htm
- RFID consultation website http://solutions.ihs.com/news/eu-en-rfid-consult.htm
Related information on ANACOM's website:
- European Commission launches consultation on RFID technology https://www.anacom.pt/render.jsp?contentId=377732
- EU - European Union https://www.anacom.pt/render.jsp?categoryId=66653
- Spectrum management https://www.anacom.pt/render.jsp?categoryId=34340