World Telecommunication and Information Society Day is being marked this year on 17 May, highlighting the theme "Better life in rural communities with Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs)".
In Portugal, events to mark the Day will take place at FPC - Fundação Portuguesa das Comunicações (Portuguese Communications Foundation); these include a tech-open, scheduled for 6.30pm, on the theme “Two-speed telecommunications?” The debate will see participation by Alfredo Baptista, a member of PT’s Executive Board, Pedro Norton, Chairman of APDC, Livia Tirone, Chairwoman of the Sustainable Construction Initiative, Ana Roque, Board Member of Comissão Nacional de Protecção de Dados (Portuguese Data Protection Authority), Irene Pimentel, historian and winner of the 2007 Prémio Pessoa, and also by the Chairman of the FPC’s General Counsel, José Amado da Silva. Inês Serra Lopes and Reginaldo Rodrigues de Almeida will moderate.
Proceedings will be closed in the presence of the Minister for Public Works, Transport and Communications, António Mendonça.
- Discurso do Ministro das Obras Públicas, Transportes e Comunicações, António Mendonça https://www.portugal.gov.pt/pt/gc21
- WTISD 17 May 2011 - Message from Dr Hamadoun I. Touré, ITU Secretary-General http://www.itu.int/wtisd/2011/messages/toure.html
- WTISD 17 May 2011 - Message from Mr Ban Ki-moon, UN Secretary-General http://www.itu.int/wtisd/2011/messages/ki-moon.html
- FPC - 17 de Maio de 2011 - Dia Mundial das Telecomunicações e da Sociedade de Informação http://www.fpc.pt/FPCWeb/displayconteudo.do2?numero=22152
- Theme WTISD 2011: Better life in rural communities with ICTs http://www.itu.int/wtisd/2011/theme.html