Total postal services traffic declined by 5.7 percent during the 3rd quarter of 2011 (3Q2011) compared to the previous quarter, with 247.3 million objects handled (it is normal for traffic volume to trough in the third quarter of the year). Meanwhile, compared to the third quarter of 2010, total traffic fell by 7.8%, which is within the forecast range resulting from the historic trend and seasonal adjustments.
Of the total number of objects distributed in 3Q2011, 95.8 percent were destined for the domestic market, while the remaining 4.2 percent were destined for the international market.
Examining postal traffic by type of object, about 97.5 percent of postal traffic comprises correspondence (including direct mail and editorial mail), for which a decline was reported of 5.6 percent in the quarter and by 8 per cent compared to 3rd quarter 2010. Meanwhile, parcel traffic increased by 8.9 percent over the previous quarter and by 1.1 year-on-year, representing only 2.5 percent of total traffic.
As at the end of the quarter, 21.1 percent of all postal items were covered by the liberalized area, decreasing by 5.5 percent compared to the previous quarter. On a year-on-year basis, the downward trend in this type of traffic also continued (with a decline of 8.3 per cent reported compared to the same quarter of 2010). Compared to 4th quarter 2006 (the year which saw the second phase of postal liberalisation), liberalised postal traffic has declined by 32.0 percent.
In 3Q2011, 6.5 million of the approximately 52.1 million postal objects distributed under the liberalized regime were included in the express-mail category while the remaining 45.6 million were covered by non-express mail categories. As such, express-mail traffic made up around 12.5 percent of all traffic operated in competition, with the remaining 87.5 divided between the other liberalised categories.
The companies of Grupo CTT had a 34 percent share of liberalised traffic operated as express-mail and a 91.7 percent share of non-express mail.
Consult the statistical report:
- Postal Services - 3rd quarter 2011 https://www.anacom.pt/render.jsp?contentId=1110893