Paris hosted last 20-22 March the 13th meeting of project team (PT) 43 of the Spectrum Engineering working group (WG SE), in charge of determining technical requisites for operating cognitive radio (CR) equipment/systems in spectrum not used by digital terrestrial networks (DTT), designated as white space devices (WSD), and for programme making and special events (PMSE) in the 470-790 MHz frequency band and services operating in adjacent bands.
The following agenda points were deemed priority at this meeting:
- Study of impact on networks operating in bands adjacent to 470-790 MHz;
- Technical considerations for protecting emitting microphones;
- Use of beacons;
- Broadcasting protection;
- Combination of sensing and geo-location-finding techniques;
- Master-slave concept;
- Analysis of amount of spectrum free for WSD.
Regarding the two ECC reports that should be forwarded for public consultation at the next WG SE meeting, PT43 decided:
- Regarding the report complementing ECC Report 159, that it will not be submitted to WG SE so that it can take into account the conclusions of several campaigns still under way, specifically about PMSE and protection requisites for DVB-T receivers in the presence of WSD;
- Regarding the report on geo-location-finding, that it is not ready to be submitted to public consultation, as work must still be done on the section on protection requirements for various services (particularly broadcasting); the appendices indicating the methodologies and respective calculations supporting the conclusions must also be consolidated.
The PT43 chairman will therefore request that submission of those reports to public consultation should be postponed, to be approved at the September meeting of WG SE.