Revenues from postal services in Portugal totalled 184.9 million euros in 4th quarter 2013, an increase of 7.4% above the previous quarter. Revenues from express mail, making up about 40% of the total, rose 5%, while non-express mail posted a revenue increase of 9.2% to 111 million euros.
Total traffic of postal services rose 5.2% during the last quarter of the year.
Express mail traffic, which represents 5% of total traffic, increased 7.1% over the previous quarter and by 0.8% compared to the same quarter of 2012.
Non-express mail traffic, which constitutes the majority of traffic (95%), increased by 5.1% over the 3rd quarter but declined 6.3% over the fourth quarter of 2012. Approximately 95.4% of this traffic is encompassed within the universal service and about 51.3% is bulk mail.
95.9% of distributed items had a destination within the national market, while the remaining 4.1% were dispatched to destinations in other countries. About 95.6% of postal traffic was comprised of correspondence, direct mail and editorial mail. Postal parcels represented 4.4% of total traffic.
Grupo CTT has a 94.3% share of total postal traffic and a 28.6% share in the express segment. There are 6 entities (Chronopost, Urbanos, Grupo Rangel, General Logistics Systems, DHL and Grupo SEUR) with individual shares of express mail traffic above 5%.
In December 2013, there were 14.4 thousand people employed in the operation of postal services.
Consult the statistical report:
- Postal Services - 4th quarter 2013 https://www.anacom.pt/render.jsp?contentId=1191977