In 3rd quarter 2014, total traffic from postal services comprised 208 million items, a decline of 3.7% versus the previous quarter and a decline of 4.2% year-on-year. Postal traffic per capita fell to 19.9 items, the lowest figure recorded to date.
About 90.3% of traffic is included within the scope of the universal service and about 53.8% is made up of bulk mail.
Of all items distributed, 95.5% were destined for the domestic market, while the remaining 4.5% were destined for other countries.
Meanwhile, about 80.3% of postal traffic is made up of correspondence, 7.6% is direct mail and 7.5% is editorial mail. Parcels represent 4.6% of total traffic and were the only postal item category to report growth, increasing 4.4% year-on-year, although declining from the previous quarter.
Grupo CTT reports a 94.7% share of total postal traffic.
For the period being reported, revenues from postal services totalled 167.5 million euros, 2.7% less than for the same period of 2013. Average revenue per item fell by 3.1% versus June and increased 1.6% percent over the same period of 2013.
As at the end of September, there were 14.4 thousand people employed in the operation of postal services. The trend in the number of people employed in the sector has been declining, although the reduction in employment lags the reduction in traffic occurring over the same period.
Consult the statistical report:
- Postal services - 3rd quarter 2014 https://www.anacom.pt/render.jsp?contentId=1343830