Total traffic of postal services increased by 7.5% in the first quarter of 2017

In the first quarter of 2017 (1Q2017), total postal traffic increased by 7.5% compared to the fourth quarter of 2016 (4Q2016), but decreased by 1.8% compared to first quarter 2016 (1Q2016). Traffic encompassed by the universal service accounted for 84.9% of all postal items, increasing by 9.8% over 4Q2016 and falling 3.7% compared to the same period of 2016.

On average, 20.8 postal items were sent per inhabitant, 1.4 more items per capita compared to 4Q2016 and 0.4 fewer items compared to 1Q2016.

Objects distributed to the national market made up 96.6 percent of the total, while the remaining 3.4 percent were distributed to other countries.  Some 80.4% of postal traffic comprised correspondence, 6.6% editorial mail and 8.6% direct mail. Postal parcels represented 4.3% of total traffic. Compared to the same period of 2016, traffic of all types decreased by 0.9% in the case of correspondence and 8.1% in the case of editorial mail, with postal parcels falling by 1.3%.

Grupo CTT had a 92.9% share of total postal traffic.

In 1Q2017, revenues from postal services were reported at around 168 million euros, increasing 3.6% versus 1Q2016, with average revenue per item increasing by 5.4%.

At the end of 1Q2017, there were approximately 14.1 thousand people employed in the operation of postal services.  The number of staff increased by 0.9% over 1Q2016.

Consult the statistical report: