In 2018, postal services registered a reduction of 5.9% of total traffic and 4.9% of income, such that the average invoice per object increased 1%
In 2018, postal traffic decreased by 5.9%, to reach 734 million objects. The reduction was due to the reduction in traffic from correspondence, editorial mail and direct mail, which was partially compensated for by the increase of 10.2% shown in parcel traffic.
Postal items per capita reached 71.3 postal objects per inhabitant, having decreased by 4.5 objects with regard to 2017.
The revenues generated by the providers legally qualified to provide postal services totalled around 626 million euros, 4.9% less than in 2017. However, revenue from parcels increased 9.8%. Average revenue per item increased by 1% in comparison with the previous year. This increase in average revenue per object was influenced by the increase in prices carried out by CTT on 2 April 2018 and by changes in traffic structure, particularly the increase in the weight of packages, revenue from which increased 9.8%.
The universal service represented 82.6% of total traffic and 63.2% of revenues
Of the total distributed objects, 95.8% were destined for the domestic market, while the remaining 4.2% were destined for other countries.
Letters represented 78.7% of postal traffic, while editorial mail and direct mail represented 7.2% and 8.1%, respectively. The weighting of parcels in total traffic was 6%.
Around 82.6% of traffic and 63.2% of revenues corresponded to postal services understood as forming part of the universal service (US).
The CTT Group was responsible for 91% of the traffic
In 2018, 92 entities were authorised to provide postal services. Of these authorised entities, 64 undertakings effectively provided services outside the scope of the universal service particularly express mail, while 13 providers registered activity within the scope of the universal service.
The CTT Group reported a share of around 91% of total postal traffic, 1.4 percentage points less than the previous year. As regards the traffic covered by the US limits, the CTT Group reported a share of approximately 97.4%.
Number of employees increased by 3.2%
At the end of 2018, there were around 14.6 thousand employees engaged in postal services. The number of employees increased by 3.2% compared to 2017. The main source of employment growth in the sector came from the alternative providers.
The number of network access points decreased by 0.1%, with the number of post offices decreasing by 11.5%
In 2018, the number of access points decreased 0.1%, the number of distribution centres increased 4.2% and the vehicle fleet increased 3.4%. This variation in access points occurred at the same time as the 11.5% reduction in the number of CTT post offices.
However, since 2014 there has been an increase in the number of letterboxes in fulfilment of the postal density targets and rules approved by ANACOM on 28 August 20141. However, the number of letterboxes decreased by 0.2% in 2018.
As for the other material resources, of note was the marked decrease in the number of stamp vending machines (-29.7%).
Postal coverage was 14.9 access point per 100 square kilometres and postal density reached 749 inhabitants per access point in 2018.
1 See Approval of the objectives and rules governing density of the postal network and minimum services of CTT and information to be made available by CTThttps://www.anacom.pt/render.jsp?contentId=1334341. However, on 15 September 2017, ANACOM set the targets to be in force until 30 September 2020 (see Approval given to the density targets of the postal network and minimum offers of serviceshttps://www.anacom.pt/render.jsp?contentId=1418158).