Within the established timetable, ANACOM, in its capacity as the Space Authority (Autoridade Espacial - AE), has adopted the Regulation on the access and exercise of space activities. In particular, it shall regulate the launching and returning space objects and of command and control of space objects, including rockets carrying small satellites.
The regulation aims to ensure the optimisation of resources and the simplification, speed and effectiveness of space activity procedures, so as to minimise the administrative burden on businesses and to facilitate access for the largest number of operators interested in exercising space activities in Portugal, while at the same time placing high demands as regards the security, damage prevention and environmental impact of these activities.
This regulation specifies:
- the procedure for granting and assessing the criteria for licences for launch and/or return operations and for command and control operations;
- the procedure for the award of prequalification certificates for exercising space activities;
- the details to be registered with the Space Authority concerning space objects;
- the requirements to be observed and information to be provided within the scope of the transfer of ownership of space objects.
This regulation shall come into force on the day after its publication in the Diário da República (Official Journal of Portugal).
- Approval of the Regulation on access to and exercise of space activities https://www.anacom.pt/render.jsp?contentId=1479915
- Consultation on the Draft Regulation on the legal regime governing access to and exercise of space activities https://www.anacom.pt/render.jsp?contentId=1474689