The European Commission has launched a public consultation on the effects of the application of the Regulation on roaming, published on 27 June 2007, with the aim of assessing its functioning. Interested parties may send their comments, by 2 July 2008, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The information compiled will be included in a Communication on the function of the new rules on roaming which the EC is due to present this year to the European Parliament and to the Council.
Besides assessing the general impact of the Regulation, this consultation also has the intention of gauging the opinion of the industry, consumers and other stakeholders on more specific aspects, including:
- Inadvertent roaming or involuntary roaming when consumers use their mobile phone close to the border of a neighbouring country and are connected to a foreign network;
- The effect of the Regulation on smaller operators and on domestic prices;
- The issue of actual and billed minutes (e.g. whether there has been any change from per second to per minute billing as a result of the Regulation);
- The extension of the Regulation in time (after 30 June 2010).
This Regulation demands that operators provide the ''Eurotariff'' for calls made while roaming, setting price caps (excluding VAT) of 0.49 euros per minute for calls made and 0.24 euros per minute for received calls. The Regulation sets out further reductions to 0.46 and 0.22 euros, respectively, on 30 August 2008 and to 0.43 and 0.19 euros on 30 August 2009.
- Regulation EC no. 717/2007, of 27 June https://www.anacom.pt/render.jsp?contentId=520192
- Public consultation - Review of the functioning of Regulation (EC) No 717/2007 http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/roaming/docs/comments/public_consultation_may08.pdf
- Comissão lança consulta pública-roaming http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/roaming/roaming_regulation/consultation_may08/index_en.htm
Related information on ANACOM's website:
- Roaming https://www.anacom.pt/render.jsp?categoryId=188342