Mobile telephone use continues to grow

/ Updated on 25.07.2007

In June there were 11.738 million mobile phones in use in Portugal, 1.6% more than at the end of March and 9.5% more than at the same time in 2005. This means that the penetration rate has reached 111.5%.

The growth seen between April and June was in part due to the increase in the number of subscription plan clients. These clients currently represent 19.6% of all users, while clients using pre-paid cards make up the other 80.4%.

1.64 billion Calls were made by mobile phone clients during the quarter, up 3.9% on the previous quarter, with the majority of calls being made within the client's own network. Mobile-fixed calls accounted for 7.6% of the total, a fall of 0.4% compared to the previous quarter.

In the same period mobile service subscribers received 1.66 billion calls, of which 66.5% originated from the client's own network.

The number of fixed-mobile calls represented 8.9% of all received calls, a quarterly increase of 1.7% but a year-on-year fall of 8.4%.

The number of conversation minutes registered on the mobile networks reached 3.065 billion minutes, 3.8% up on the previous quarter.

The number of minutes for calls terminating on mobile networks reached 3.145 billion minutes, up 3,8% compared to the previous quarter, while the number of fixed-mobile minutes fell by 6.6%.

The average length of calls originating on the mobile network remained steady at 112 seconds, while the average length of terminating calls fell by six seconds to 107 seconds.

International calls continued with the longest average duration: 159 seconds for calls originating on the mobile network and 181 seconds for calls terminating on the mobile network.

Mobile telephone subscribers made, on average, 47 calls each month during the quarter with 31 of these being made to numbers on their own network.

As far as text messages are concerned, 3.094 billion SMSs were sent over the quarter, 18.2% more than in the previous quarter and up 334% year-on-year. This rise can be put down to customers signing up to promotional campaigns being run by the mobile operators.

The average number of messages sent per subscriber rose to 88, up from 75 in the previous quarter.